How can we help?
Select one of the categories below that matches your query.
Browse By Category
Most frequently asked questions
Good question! With over 90 years’ experience in the energy sector in Ireland and over 25 years in the British generation market, we pride ourselves on our industry experience, competitive prices and fantastic customer service. You won’t be disappointed with the service we have to offer. Why not see how much you could save?
Having a fixed tariff means that your standing charges and unit charges will remain the same for a fixed period. For more information on our fixed tariffs, click here.
Once you have registered as an ESB Energy customer and received your Welcome Pack email, you will be able to register online so that you can easily manage your account. All you have to do is click here.
You will need the following information to hand to register your account:
- Account Number (in your Welcome Pack email)
- Email Address (the same email address you used when switching over to us)
Please follow the below steps to register your online account:
1. If you are a new customer, please click the “Sign up now” link at the bottom of the page.
2. Follow the below steps using the email address you used when signing up to ESB Energy and you account number which can be found in your Welcome Pack.
4. If you verify your email address correctly you should see this page, you can then follow the login link to sign in:
You can view the following on your online account:
- View account details
- tariff details
- previous and current bill
- pay your bill
- submit meter readings and view previous meter readings
- Update your marketing preferences
You can login into your online account here
If you are unsure how to read your gas or electricity meter, click here for our step by step guide covering different meter types.
You can contact us on 0345 60 70 372, Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).
For out of hours emergencies, please contact National Grid on 0800 111 999.
We aim to obtain at least 1 actual meter reading every 12 months, including meter readings taken by customers themselves. For customers on a fixed Direct Debit we ask that you submit a meter read every three months.
At other times, we may provide you with a bill based on an estimate. Estimates are based on your past energy consumption. At all times, we do everything possible to ensure absolute accuracy.
If you are on a Fixed Term Tariff, your prices will not change during the life of the contract. However if you are on a variable tariff there is a possibility your energy prices will move up or down.
This movement is a reflection of changes seen in the wholesale market and/or other costs we face. If we do decide to change our prices at any point, we will always give you at least 30 days’ notice before these changes take effect so you have time to prepare.
Paying by fixed Direct Debit means your payment is set to the same amount each month. The cost of your forecasted yearly energy usage is calculated and then split into 12 equal monthly payments.
We usually review your payments twice a year, so make sure that you submit monthly meter readings as this allows us to be accurate when forecasting your future energy costs.
A standing charge covers the fixed cost of supplying gas and electricity to you.
To manage your energy online more effectively, you'll need your: new address, the date you legally stop being responsible for the property and your final meter reading
You need to contact us on/after the day you moved house. We are unable to process any house moves in the future.
In the event of an electrical emergency or power outage please call 105 to be put through to your local electricity network operator. 105 is a free service, available from most landlines and mobile phones in England, Scotland and Wales. In the event of a gas emergency call the National Gas Emergency Helpline: 0800 111 999.
The Priority Services Register (PSR) is a free service offered throughout the energy industry to domestic customers by all energy suppliers and network operators for customers across England, Wales and Scotland.
Through the PSR, eligible customers can receive additional services in relation to their communication, access and safety needs. With your consent, energy suppliers and network operators will keep and share PSR information securely across the energy industry. To register for the PSR, please click here to download our Priority Support Application.
We are aiming to make the switching process as easy as possible for you. You will need your bank details on hand to complete the switch. We can estimate your usage, or if you have your electricity or gas bill we can provide a quote based on your Annual Consumption. Click here to receive a quote in seconds
Your bill is made up of two charges:
- Your daily Standing Charge
- Energy you have used (Gas and/or electricity usage)
If you are on a fixed Direct Debit, you can choose a date/amount for your payment to be taken. The payment will be taken on the same date each month. If you are on a variable Direct Debit, the payment will be taken 14 days after your bill has been issued.
You can submit a meter read by logging into your self-serve portal here. The more meter reads we receive helps to ensure our bills are accurate.
If you have an account on our old customer website, you will need to sign up to our brand, new website.
This option is for existing users that have already registered an online account. Please follow the below steps:
1. On the initial welcome screen, click sign-up now.
2. You should then see the following page where you can populate your email address and password as previously done in the old customer website:
3. If you verify your email address correctly you should see this page, you can then follow the login link to sign in:
1. Click on the Forgot your password link on the sign-in page:
2. Populate your email address and select the link Send verification code:
3. Please check your email inbox for your verification code.
4. You should now be able to populate your verification code. Enter your email address and the verification code you received in the appropriate fields and hit the ‘Verify code’ button.
5. If your code verified successfully you can now click on the ‘Continue’ button to proceed.
Your password must be:
- At least 8 characters long
- 4 of the following - uppercase character, lowercase characters, numbers and special characters
Saving the planet begins at home
There are so many ways in which you can reduce your electricity and gas usage in your home, from reducing your consumption to using energy efficient appliances.Read more